Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Slushpile Avalanche

…or Slushalanche, as I fondly call it.

What is it?

It’s a pile of slush so high I don’t think I’ll ever dig my way out. But I do. I do because I'm obsessed with finding the next great story. THE one. Never mind that I have to read a lot of stories that just aren’t ready for publication.

So, what should you expect from me?

You should expect me to be frank. I don’t have the time or the inclination to pussy-foot around any PC, make you feel good advice. I’m going to tell you how it is. I’m going to tell exactly why I don’t accept certain stories, what works, what doesn’t, what I don’t ever want to see again, what I don’t see often enough.

And hopefully, in the process, you’ll find your own story at the top of the slush pile with a big capital letter A written in red ink, maybe with a few exclamation points after it, because, after all, it will be THE one.

No comments: